Archives of last quarterly package builds?

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 22 08:44:43 UTC 2018

On 22/7/18 5:59 am, grarpamp wrote:
> Packages are delivered via a single quarterly label here
>
> https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly/
>
> which corresponds to the latest quarterly branch label here
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/branches/?sortby=date#dirlist
>

> However, similar to how the tags here
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/tags/?sortby=date#dirlist
>
> are archived here
>
> https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/
> as these
> https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/release_[n]
>

> The last "ie: final" builds of each quarterly branch before they
> roll over should also be moved off into their own archived
> quarterly directories as

I've asked for this but the answer is "no we don't do that..  and have
no plans to".
Which is a putty as it means you need to make your own snapshots if
you want to have any reproducability.
It no linger matters to me as we now roll all our own packages from
source (we have private OS changes
that make this a requirement), but it was a sore point for many years.

> https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/yyyyQ[n]
>
> For example /quarterly/ should be repointed from 2018Q2
> to 2018Q3, leaving 2018Q2 as a live "pkg" accessible archive.
>

> Eventually all such archives could be moved to historical
> archive server under typical release support expiry periods.
>

> This would also serve critical purpose as an independant
> original remote repository for validating local package / file
> signatures against compromise, corruption, loss.
>

> For example, does the last 2018Q2 (or older ones) still exist
> anywhere for users to reference and use?
no.