Is there an index of all central poudriere builds?

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Fri Jul 13 18:35:06 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> On 07/12/18 20:22, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> > Every 11.x gets the same packages. They're built on the lowest
> > supported version (11.1 here), but 11.2 and 11.1 pkg users get the
> > same packages.
> >
> > Quarterly is NOT outdated. It is specifically and intentionally not
> > latest-and-greatest. Whatever new pkg you're talking about, the whole
> > point is that it is tested for ~3 mo in head before it arrives in
> > quarterly. If you don't like it, you switch to head. That's what it's
> > there for.
>

> Looking from a perspective of a simple user who keeps with the latest
> release, 11.2 users now don't get recent package updates. The advice
> "just switch to CURRENT" doesn't work because you shouldn't advise users
> to switch to the unreleased, unstable version, and they shouldn't even
> be bothered with such things. The advise to change to 11.1 also doesn't
> work for users, because why did we release 11.2 then? It isn't obvious
> what to tell to a user in this case.

No, Yuri, not switching to -CURRENT as in base/head. Read
/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, follow the instructions, and change "quarterly"
to "latest". Then you get the packages from head, not quarterly.

Ironically, your gut reaction of "users shouldn't be encourged to
switch to the unreleased, unstable version" is precisely why we follow
the same model with packages: we default people to quarterly packages,
and it's trivial to switch to the latest packages from ports/head.
Copy one file, and change one word in it.

> Then it is also illogical that while 11.1 was the latest release, the
> packages were same as in ports, and once 11.2 became the latest release,
> packages became delayed. Why does this change with the release number?
>

> I think that the right solution is to use the same packages for 11.2
> that are used for 11.1.

Yuri. Third time you're being told this in this thread: 11.2 uses THE
SAME PACKAGES as 11.1. Nothing changes with the release number.  I'm
not sure what it is you're opposed to here. We don't build 11.2
packages. We build 11 packages, and we build them on the lowest
supported version.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger