What the port license should be when software is "free for non-commercial use" with "click-to-accept" or clickwrap license?

Marko Cupać marko.cupac at mimar.rs
Fri Jul 6 12:01:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 05:46:00 +0700
Eugene Grosbein <eugen at grosbein.net> wrote:

> 05.07.2018 18:01, Marko Cupać wrote:
>
> > What would be the benefit of users' clicks for owners of such
> > software? What would owners of such software lose if they didn't
> > require clicks?
> >
> > What would be the benefit for pkg owners for investing time and
> > effort into supporting such feature? How would FreeBSD project and
> > its users benefit from it?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-user_license_agreement#Shrink-wrap_and_click-wrap_licenses

Eugene,

thank you for the link but I haven't found answer to any of my
questions there.

Franky, I asked because my current answers to above questions seem to
be (in order they were asked):
- advantage in possible lawsuits by claiming fake 'opt-ins' (most people
  don't read EULAs but click anyway)
- lawsuits
- none, as long as they keep not throwing users under the busses in
  exchange for "contributions"
- same as above line

... and I hoped someone will give me less pessimistic insight into
this. I still do.

Best regards,

After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/