When does a newly committed port become installable via 'pkg'?

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Sun Jan 28 22:02:53 UTC 2018

> On 28 Jan, 2018, at 13:14, James E Keenan <jkeenan at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> Earlier today (about 0910 EST), thanks to Po-Chuan Hsieh, a new port I
> had created was committed to the repository.  It was very quickly visible
> at these locations:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client/
> https://www.freshports.org/devel/p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client/
>
> ... and it has since become visible here as well:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client&stype=all&sektion=all
>
> However, when I try to install that package onto my system (a VM running
> FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE), I continue -- six hours later -- to get messages
> saying that the package cannot be located.
>
> #####
> $> sudo pkg update
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
>
> $> sudo pkg install p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
> pkg: No packages available to install matching
> 'p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client' have been found in the repositories
> #####
>
> What am I not understanding about this process?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for creating and submitting the port!

All systems default to using packages the "quarterly" branch, which is very
stable but only sees major updates four times a year. The pkg will be
accessible from there shortly after the next branch point (1 April).

While the port is available immediately, packages don't pop up that
quickly. There are tens of thousands of ports, and package build runs take
a few days, even on our beefy cluster machines. If you're using the
"latest" branch in your pkg.conf, you should see the package in a few days.
If you're using quarterly, it won't show up for you until April.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org