'pkg upgrade -f spamassassin' stops but doesn't restart spamd

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 18:05:28 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 7:10 AM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:

> There are no consensus about what services should do on deinstall or
> upgrade. That's why there is such a mess in ports / packages.
> Some did nothing (my preferred way), some stop (but did not start) the
> service, some modify user edited config files (removing / disabling modules
> in httpd.conf so Apache is broken on each upgrade of module(s)).
>
> Miroslav Lachman

Beg pardon, but I am aware of this being discussed twice on this list and
both times there was a clear consensus in both cases that it was
unacceptable or a port/package upgrade to touch running daemons.  There
were arguments that some port might make changes in underlying files that
could break a daemon in some way, though I can't recall any actual examples.

The only real argument was that leaving a daemon with a serious
vulnerability running was not acceptable. A competent admin should never
let this happen, but I'm sure it has.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com