workflow question: how do you maintain the port in sync with upstream?

Helen Koike helen.koike at collabora.com
Sun Aug 19 05:02:58 UTC 2018

On 08/14/2018 01:09 PM, blubee blubeeme wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 11:33 PM Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org
> <mailto:mat at freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:41:43PM +0800, blubee blubeeme wrote:
>     > This one is fairly straight forward, you can simply replace that
>     string
>     > with a regex command;
>     > This is an example of running a replace command for strings after
>     the patch
>     > phase of the build;
>     >
>     > post-patch:
>     >       @${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's|for Linux|for FreeBSD|g'
>     ${WRKSRC}/README
>
>     Patching files in post-patch using sed SHOULD only be used to replace
>     dynamic content, never static content.

I am not sure I understand what dynamic content means here in the
post-patch (as nothing was built, so no new file should be created). Is
the replacement used by mail/lbdb wrong?

from mail/lbdb/Makefile
post-patch:
	${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's/sed/gsed/' ${WRKSRC}/m_muttalias.sh.in

is it ok if I do the same?
It is not clear to me when I can use REINPLACE_CMD in the Makefile and
when I should do a patch.

> This is missing the point of the email since you can call that command
> in any stage of the port build process.
>
> Maybe we could append this info to the porters handbook.
>

>     --
>     Mathieu Arnold

Helen