Changing PHP default version from 5.6 to 7.2 timeframe?

scratch65535 at att.net scratch65535 at att.net
Sat Apr 21 18:08:08 UTC 2018

[Default] On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:48:40 +0200, Kurt Jaeger
<lists at opsec.eu> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> It appears that there is some work going on to prepare to switch
>> the default PHP version from 5.6 to an actively supported version.
>
>Yes.
>
>> What is the approximate timeframe for that change, if any?
>
>I don't know.
>
>> Should I jump and change the default version for my installs? I'm
>> running the usual suspects like WordPress, MediaWiki, phpMyAdmin.
>
>Yes, and please report if you find problems 8-} We need more
>testers 8-)

The install process isn't(!!) very nice to aged brains, but now
that I have it installed it seems to work okay under 11.1R.

The selection of default modules seems to have been made by
someone who isn't setting up a FAMP server.  Because of the
diversity of uses there probably shouldn't be any extensions
installed by default, but *all* of them should be on the menu
rather than having to hunt any of them down.

And I haven't used the "replacement" for mcrypt yet, and suspect
that it's not actually in any way a drop-in replacement, but
there's probably nothing to be done about that now.