magic syntax for most recent git from sourceforge? [solved]

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Wed Apr 18 03:49:42 UTC 2018

On 04/16/18 13:17, Gary Aitken wrote:
> Can anyone give me the magic formula for fetching the most recent git
> distro from sourceforge for a ports Makefile?
>
> The porter's handbook talks about how to fetch git repos from github
> but not about how to get them from sourceforge.
>
> I've tried a few things but can't get the right combo of MASTER_SITES
> and PORTNAME, DISTFILE, and DISTVERSION
>
> The git clone cmd is:
>    git clone https://git.code.sf.net/p/nufraw/git nufraw-git
>
> This particular git version says it is 0.41 but attempting to fetch
> with from
>    PORTVERSION=    0.41
>    MASTER_SITES=   https://sourceforge.net/projects/nufraw/files/latest/
> doesn't work; PORTVERSION=  0.40 does.
> I've also tried with
>    DISTVERSION=    07ebb73a
> with no joy.

Many thanks to Jeremy Chadwick for guidance.
Appropriate values for the above example are:

DISTVERSION= 0.41
MASTER_SITES= SOURCEFORGE/nufraw

A problem also encountered while searching for a solution was a stale distinfo
left over from using the 0.40 version; moving it aside allowed the fetch to
complete.  Apparently the distinfo file is checked during the fetch process
if it exists, not just at extract time.