Conflicts due to renamed KDE4 ports

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Tue Apr 17 20:33:53 UTC 2018

On 17/04/2018 09:11, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 00:42:48 +0200 Adriaan de Groot <adridg at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> [where did this discussion take place, earlier? this is the first I've seen it]
>>
>> So, there are roughly two migration paths: supposing someone has x11/kde4
>> installed, which has dependencies on many applications and a Plasma 4 desktop,
>> kde@ wants (wanted) to make it possible to migrate to a still-KDE4 desktop,
>> while renaming everything to have a -kde4 suffix. The other path is to migrate
>> to the latest-and-greatest-from-KDE .. we don't have a metaport for that, and
>> if we do get one it probably won't be called x11/kde5.
>>
>> For single applications, the migration looks similar: you had, around january
>> 2018, port <foo>. That's the KDE4 version. Now there is port <foo>-kde4, if
>> you want to stick to KDE4 software (which is no longer released upstream, and
>> is based on an EOL toolkit, but some people feel quite strongly about this).
>> Ports <foo> are returning, without a suffix, to mean "the latest-and-greatest-
>> version-of-<foo>". This is consistent with other ports which have a <foo>,
>> versions if you have specific dependencies on old versions.
>>
>> Historically, things were a mess with naming with the KDE ports. We think
>> we've got a good scheme now: <foo>-kde4 (and in the far future, <foo>-kf5) for
>> versions of the software based on an older stack, and <foo> for the current
>> one. But the pain of getting from the mess to something better organized has
>> to happen at some point.
> What happens when you run pkg upgrade on a 6 months old installation of KDE4?

As stated earlier, I had a few kde4-specific applications installed on
my system (kwrite, kate, konsole, ...). I am using poudriere and wasn't
upgrading for like 6 months. I tried a few weeks ago and it failed. I
was getting errors that a file, here listed a path to a file in a new
package, is already installed by another package. Deleting the file was
leading to another similar error. Manually uninstalling old packages and
reinstalling with updated names of course solved the issue but I only
had a few of those applications.
GrzegorzJ