flavors and rc scripts

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at ze.tum.de
Tue Apr 3 13:01:48 UTC 2018

Am 03.04.2018 um 13:57 schrieb Mathieu Arnold:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 09:26:51AM +0200, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to build a python package that uses flavors to allow parallel
>> installation for different python versions.
>>
>> So far building an installing works fine till the start script comes in
>> the picture.
>>
>> The port should install a start script for each of the flavors
>> installed, but USE_RC_SUBR installs the rc.script under the name given
>> and don't add the prefix or suffix. When i use
>> USE_RC_SUBR=${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}scriptname i have to add a start
>> script for every flavor.
>>
>> Is there a way to gent USE_RC_SUBR to add the prefix or suffix.
>
> I am not sure I understand exacly what you want to achieve by installing
> different flavors of the same daemon.
>
> Would you want it to run multiple times?
>
> What happens with the rc variables?
>
> Are all the flavors managed using the same variables, and then, all the
> daemons run concurrently?
>
> Are they supposed to be named something like this for the default
> flavor:
>
> scriptname_arguments
> scriptname_pidfile
>
> and like this for a non default flavor:
>
> scriptname_py36_arguments
> scriptname_py36_pidfile

Yes. There should be running multiple daemons with different python
versions. And the rc script itself can start multiple daemons with
different profiles.

the variables start all with <flavor>_<packagename>_... but the
rc_scripts are all generated from the same template using SUB_FILE and
SUB_LIST to generate the flavor specific version.

There could be another way to do this by installing one rc file for all
flavors. But I don't know how to do this either. The first flavor
installed would install the rc and the last flavor to be removed would
need to remove it. So the approach above seams the more reasonable one.

Regards
   Estartu