Perl version change and ports/UPDATING

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Apr 1 01:55:32 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 04:23:54PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:25 AM, David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org>
> wrote:
> > But "pkg updating -i" fails to display the 20180330 entry for me;
> > it does show entries for some(?) other ports I have installed:
> > Is the above a demostration of a problem with "pkg updating"?
> > Something else?
> I suspect thre issue is the handing of the wildcard (lang/perl5*). Either
> it's a bug or wildcards should not be allowed in UPDATING. There are LOTS
> of entries with asterisks, though, ome rather more complex such as:
> 20180308:
>   AFFECTS: */php* */pecl* */pear*
> BTW, that one should show up in "pkg updating -i" and does not, either.

I finally(!) got around to unpacking the distribution files for
pkg-1.10.5; looking at src/updating.c, "pkg updating" uses either
strcasestr() or strstr() (depending on whether or not -i is specified)
for matching the origins of installed ports against the "AFFECTS" lines
in ports/UPDATING.

I see no code that would support anything other than literal string
matches -- no attempts to specify/use meta-characters; no globs;
no regular expressions.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
An investigator who doesn't make a perp nervous isn't doing his job.