[HEADUP] FLAVORS landing.

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Sep 27 03:30:37 UTC 2017

On 09/26/2017 17:43, Mel Pilgrim wrote:
> On 09/26/2017 16:56, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>> What are FLAVORS and why do I need it?
>>>
>>> Is there somewhere that explains the intent and purpose?
>>
>> Thank you!  Just the question I was going to ask.
>
> FLAVORS allows a pkg repo to contain variations of the same port. For
> example, a port that has two mutually exclusive options can now exist
> in the public repo as both builds (each with their own FLAVOR suffix),
> rather than requiring the port maintainer select a default and force
> users of the other to compile the port themselves, or do things like
> maintain subports.

thanks for the clarification - this sounds like a really useful feature
for my workflow at least.  i can actually think of several linux distros
where something like this would have saved me lots of cycles due to
having to maintain my own versions (or flavors i guess) of common packages.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org