synth install ... builds but does not always install named packages

Matt Smith matt.xtaz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 07:42:25 UTC 2017

On Sep 15 07:34, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>I am building up a system (FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64) using synth, but even when the packages build and appear in /var/synth/live_packages/All , some of the packages don't install.
>
>When I type "which gnumeric", "which bison", "which abiword", I just get a blank, and the executable files don't appear in /usr/local/bin .
>
>This happened with math/gnumeric, editors/abiword-docs, among others.
>
>I subsequently installed those packages by typing "synth install math/gnumeric" and "synth install editors/abiword-docs", but how do I find all the others that built and are listed in /var/synth/live_packages/All but did not install?
>
>I see
>
>"ls -l /var/synth/live_packages/All" has 657 lines, while
>
>"pkg info -a" produces 544 lines.
>
>I piped to "more", then hit G to go to the end, then Ctrl-G, which showed the number of lines.
>
>This may not tell the whole story, but makes me believe there is a disparity, and ask how to find and install those packages that built but didn't install.
>
>Has anybody else been stung by this bug?
>
>Tom

Do you actually want those packages installed? The usual reason is that
they are build dependencies only required for building another package
and therefore they are in the repo but not installed. If they are run
dependencies actually required for another package to run then they
should be installed.

Freshports is a good site for looking at this.
http://www.freshports.org/

If you search for something it tells you what is build and what is run.
Alternatively you can look at the ports Makefile for lines such as
BUILD_DEPENDS, RUN_DEPENDS, LIB_DEPENDS etc.

--
Matt