Tcl/Tk 8.4 deprecation

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 17:47:35 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Pietro Cerutti <gahr at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll be shorty deprecating Tcl/Tk 8.4 in our ports tree. The latest
> release of this series was 8.4.20 (June 2013).
> Tcl/Tk series 8.5 and 8.6 are fully supported, and 8.7 is coming
> soon-ish.
>
> Thus, I will soon mark the following ports as DEPRECATED, with expiry
> date sometimes this fall. If you care for any of them, please try to
> upgrade them to a newer version (if any) or make them work with Tcl 8.6,
> which is the current default version. If you need any support in the
> process, please let me know and I'll be glad to help.
>
> lang/fpc-tcl
> lang/itcl
> lang/smalltalk
> lang/tcl84
> multimedia/nxtvepg
> games/scid
> games/polypuzzle
> graphics/ocaml-lablgl
> graphics/gdtclft
> databases/pgaccess
> math/R
> math/maxima
> editors/tpad
> x11-toolkits/ocaml-labltk
> x11-toolkits/tk84
> devel/vtcl
> x11-clocks/tktz
> net/xpvm
> x11/tkXwin
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Pietro Cerutti
> The FreeBSD Project
> gahr at FreeBSD.org

Pietro,

I have both graphics/ocaml-lablgl and x11-toolkits/ocaml-labltk installed
using 8.5 with no issues. The Makefiles expressly list 84 and 85 as usable.
math/R simply requires 8.4 or higher.

I suspect most/all of the listed ports already work with supported
versions. So should these just be patched to change 84+ or 84,85 to just
85? If so, I can submit some later today, but removing 84 won't break most
(all?) whether the ports are patched or not.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com