Some github projects aren't fetchable using commit hash

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sat Sep 2 01:03:29 UTC 2017

On 02/09/2017 02:29, Yuri wrote:
> On 09/01/17 09:53, Tobias Kortkamp wrote:
>> In libretro/picodrive there are two objects which have the same
>> abbreviated hash.  Probably best to use the full hash.
>

> Since another object with the same abbreviated hash can be committed
> into the project any time, any port using such hash (which is a lot) can
> break any time.

I thought the porters handbook specified using a 10 digit hash... at the
minimum you need a hash long enough that it is unique in that repo. If a
later commit breaks the uniqueness then a longer hash will be needed.

Respond to github support that an abbreviated hash with multiple matches
will fail. Under that condition, it may be desirable to respond with the
newest of the matches rather than a not found error.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler