www/bluefish builds but fails to install

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 18:06:07 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 10:26 AM, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:

> On 01/09/2017 18:06, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Something is broken here. I checked two systems: one built from ports
> > and one using packages. In both cases, all of those files are present,
> > but neither had those files on the package DB:
>
> Thanks for looking at this. Do you think it's my system that is broken,
> or the port?
>
> Not sure if it's relevant, but after the failure with the port, I tried
> to compile from source in $HOME/tmp. Configure finishes without error
> but make fails with the following:
>
> $ make
> Making all in data
> Making all in bflang
> Making all in bflib
> Making all in templates
> Making all in desktop-data
> make[1]: don't know how to make bluefish.appdata.xml. Stop
>
> make[1]: stopped in /storage/home/john/tmp/bluefish-2.2.10/desktop-data
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /storage/home/john/tmp/bluefish-2.2.10
>
> --
> J.

As a guess, it's a dependency issue of some sort and/or a messed up
pkg-plist in bluefish. The missing files are not created by bulefish but
are present in all gnome installations. I just don't wknow what vreated
them and why they are missing from the package DB. I have all of these
files on all of my systems that have MATE installed, but none have
bluefish, with one possible exception, none has ever had bluefish.

The packing list does include these files which is almost certainly wrong.
I suspect it was auto-generated and, since those files were not in the
database, it added them to pkg-plist. (This is just a guess, though.) It
looks like something is broken in a lower level of the gnome infrastructure
that is causing this, bu it will take someone more familiar than I to
figure out what and how.

One "interesting" note is the output of "make -C /usr/ports quicksearch
name=bluefish" shows:
ort:    bluefish-2.2.10
Info:    HTML editor designed for the experienced web designer

Port:    www/bluefish-devel
Moved:
Date:    2014-09-01
Reason:    Not staged

That last line is likely related in that the pkg-plist includes files that
shouldn't be there.

At this point I am out of ideas, but a bit more information might be
helpful to others (or even me).
1. What version of FreeBSD (likely not useful)?
2. What version of Gnome, MATE or other desktop is installed?
3. Were all ports installed as packages?
4. Are the "shared/mime" files present in your local directory?

Sorry that I can't help further, but something is really fubar here as this
should be impossible. (Files installed that are not in the package
database.)
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com