Some github projects aren't fetchable using commit hash

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Fri Sep 1 16:24:15 UTC 2017

FYI:

Some github URLs that ports framework uses to fetch by hash fail with no
apparent reason. Here are two examples:

https://codeload.github.com/grame-cncm/guidolib/tar.gz/2ec126d

https://codeload.github.com/libretro/picodrive/tar.gz/40cd7bc

I've contacted GitHub, they acknowledged the problem, but offered no
solution besides of "we are working on this". Below is my communication
with GitHub support.

Yuri

---

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for reaching out about this, and sorry for delayed response!

We've taken a look at the trouble you're experiencing, and suspect that
this might be a bug, so we've opened an internal issue for our engineers
to investigate further.

While we don't yet have a specific ETA on a fix, we'll be sure to update
you as soon as there's any news to share.

Also, thank you for the wonderful detail in your email! It helped
enormously with our initial investigations.

Warm regards,

Friday

    Looking at two projects: one tarball fetch succeeds, the other one
    fails.

    Fetching the tarball of https://github.com/libretro/emux using
    https://codeload.github.com/libretro/emux/tar.gz/df14439 - succeeds.

    Fetching the tarball of https://github.com/libretro/picodrive using
    https://codeload.github.com/libretro/picodrive/tar.gz/40cd7bc - fails.

    Both URLs are built from {account}/{project}/{hash} combination in
    the same way. Both should succeed.
    This is also how FreeBSD ports download tarballs.

    Failure log:

    |# wget https://codeload.github.com/libretro/picodrive/tar.gz/40cd7bc
    --2017-08-28 21:18:35--
    https://codeload.github.com/libretro/picodrive/tar.gz/40cd7bc
    Resolving codeload.github.com (codeload.github.com)...
    192.30.255.121, 192.30.255.120 Connecting to codeload.github.com
    (codeload.github.com)|192.30.255.121|:443... connected. HTTP request
    sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found 2017-08-28 21:18:35 ERROR
    404: Not Found. |