SF mastersites

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Sun Oct 29 04:50:25 UTC 2017

> On 28 Oct, 2017, at 22:18, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> @MarkMillard
>
> Thank you for explaining that. Like you said there's lots of stuff that's
> just not documented. How should I know that I should check the man page for
> Makefile? I appreciate the help with that at least I'll be better informed
> in the future.
>
> Things like that should be in the porter handbook as subsections or
> something.

Not in the Porter's Handbook, but the FreeBSD Handbook has a whole page about manpages: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/basics-more-information.html

Makefiles are written in make(1) syntax, but used only to execute other FreeBSD commands and utilities; it simply wouldn't be practical to list the manpages for each of them in the Porter's Handbook. FreeBSD works very hard to maintain manpages for nearly every utility, conf file, and important procedure.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org