New pkg audit FNs

Torsten Zuehlsdorff tz at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 13 09:47:40 UTC 2017

Aloha,

>> Why not
>> teach pkg-audit(8) to query NVD based on CPE annotations in *binary*
>> packages?
>> Doing so would also provide a workaround for VuXML entries cancelled
>> to reduce bloat.
>
> I agree, pkg-audit needs to be taught to do that. Along those lines, we
> could create a port for cvechecker:
>
> https://github.com/sjvermeu/cvechecker
>
> But both solutions only handle installed packages.
>
> We would still need something to alert us to CVEs in non-installed
> software, I think.
>
> Also, I've just looked and it seems only a little over 1000 ports have
> CPE strings. Adding something to portlint that warned ports developers
> to add any needed CPE info would be helpful. I think that type of
> warning has helped us improve LICENSE entries.

One more thought on this topic: a cvececker isn't enough. Looking at
security updates of piwik, gitlab, phpmailer and many more: most of the
security issues fixed never got an CVE entry. But of course any of the
issues could be exploited in one or another way.

But i think cvechecker is a step in the right direction. pkg audit is
incredible helpful even with its current restrictions!

Greetings,
Torsten