portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 6 07:41:29 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 05:15:18PM +0000, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 12:16:49PM -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> >
> > Poudriere really needs its own small book. Yes, you can do simple
> > poudriere installs, but once you start covering it properly the docs
> > quickly expand. My notes alone are longer than my af3e chapter
> > limits. (I'll probably publish "FreeBSD Packaging Misery^WMastery" in
> > 2018).
>
> Please include a discussion on how to use poudriere on
> a system with limited resouces (e.g., 10 GB of free
> diskspace and less than 1 GB free memory).  I know
> portmaster works well [1] within an environment with
> only 4 GB free diskspace and 1 GB memory.
>
> [1] portmaster worked well prior to portmgr's decision
> to displace simple small tools in favor of a sledge
> hammer.

FUD.. portmgr never took any decision like this.
The problem with portmaster (beside some design flows regarding the "not build
in a clean room") is that it is not maintained anymore. (Note that it has never
been maintained by portmgr at all).

What this means is, when some highly needed features such as subpackages and
flavors are coming in it will just break. portmgr is taking that into account at
that is one of the reason we have decided to block the adoption of flavors for
some time to give time to people to catchup and fixup the tools they do
like/use (yes documentation and simple examples are coming soon(c)(tm).

This not only concerns portmaster but also portupgrade, tinderbox and ANY third
party tools that works on the ports tree directly.

Best regards,
Bapt