portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Fri Oct 6 04:53:49 UTC 2017

Hi!

> I'd vote to have Chris H be the maintainer of this port.
> Why knock the guy if he wants to invest his time and
> energy into doing something to help the project?
> Does it cause anyone pain to see someone working on
> maintaining the project? Why would someone say no you cannot maintain this
> port, especially when no one else is doing the work?

In general, if a port has a maintainer, the idea is that
that old maintainer is willing to hand over the port to the
new maintainer, because the new maintainer submits more and tested
patches etc.

I'm not implying anything about portmaster, just stating the
general idea.

> Who would stand up and say, no Chris you can't maintain the port and why?

Being listed or not being listed in the maintainer field of the
port Makefile does not change the problem of updates/patches.

Someone has to provide patches, otherwise there's no progress.

Again, I'm not implying anything about portmaster, just stating the
general idea.

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !