portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Oct 4 22:29:18 UTC 2017

Please understand that I'm not trying to be obstinate,
I'm trying to understand.

Background: years ago I managed the cluster of i386 blades
that we used in package building.  933MHz and 512MB IIRC.
So I am familiar with constraint problems.

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 02:22:25PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> Can't find info on whether jails can be avoided.

I have not checked the code but IIRC, no.  I thought jails
had low memory overhead, though.

> If you only have 1 Gb of memory and 5-10 GB diskspace,
> then using poudriere with zfs and jails is a nonstarter.

For point of comparison, with those constraints, I do not
understand how modern llvms can build at all.

What happens if you use the manual approach on this same
system?  e.g.

  cd /usr/ports/devel/llvm40
  mkdir -p /usr/ports/packages
  make && make package
  pkg install /usr/ports/packages/llvm<whatever>.txz

Do you still run out of resources?

In that case, there's not much that can be done.  The
compilers, the office suites, and certain math packages
are huge beasts.  However you try to build them won't
matter.

I would think having a copy of the llvm workfiles in a jail
is going to be equivalent to having them in /tmp?

I must be missing something.

mcl