portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Wed Oct 4 20:56:10 UTC 2017

On 04/10/2017 20:43, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 08:13:16PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>> I was trying
>> to compile with the system that was being updated at the
>> same time - this can't possibly work (or can it?).
> It works somewhere between "quite often" to "nearly all
> the time".  It can vary depending on the complexity of

Well, that's not my experience. For me it worked occasionally at best. A
few times the system became so broken that many applications couldn't be
opened any more and I had to spend hours to restore it to some kind of
usability. Even with poudriere I still manage to break the ports quite
often by setting various options not to their recommended values - see
defects I have been raising on
https://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html But at least I am not
able to install them until they are fixed.

Maybe I am just too ambitious or maybe poudriere is more idiot-proof? I
guess portmaster or portupgrade may work fine if one uses the default
options, but in that case, hey, why bother? Just use the compiled
packages! If you try to change some ports to non-default options, and
something doesn't compile, portmaster/portupgrade will leave the system
in half-baked state. And then only heavens can help...