Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 3 06:35:43 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 19:58, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, the wise Matt Smith wrote:
>
>>> I'm running 11.1-STABLE now, upgrading every few months or when there
>>> is an important security fix. Do I have to build a new system twice
>>> in that case (once my running system and once the poudriere jail)?
>>>

>> What I do is to initially create the jail using poudriere jail -c -j
>> 11 -m src=/usr/src and then I upgrade the jail using poudriere jail -u
>> -j 11.
>>
>> These commands use the existing /usr/src and /usr/obj trees from the
>> host system buildworld/kernel. It doesn't need to be rebuilt.
>
> Did a make cleanworld last time I upgraded so /usr/obj is empty now, but
> next time I'll try this out. Didn't know poudriere could do this
> (although it's in the manpage I see now). Thanks for the info!

Even so, so long as your host system and your poudriere jail are ABI
compatible, then you *don't* need to upgrade your pourdiere jail in
lock-step with your host.  The poudriere jail only needs to be binary
compatible -- ie. the same major version of FreeBSD -- and not newer
than the host system.  Even the reason for having the same major version
is just so that the packages you build will run where you want to deploy
them -- you can run a jail of an earlier major version if you have older
systems to support, or you can run an i386 jail on an amd64 server if
you have 32bit machines to support.

Not upgrading your poudriere jail has one big advantage -- as soon as
you update the jail, poudriere will rebuild /all/ of your packages.
Avoiding updating the jail means you can just carry on doing incremental
updates and save some CPU cycles.

	Cheers,

	Matthew