Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

Marco Beishuizen mbeis at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 2 10:07:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, the wise Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 09:21:31PM +0200 I heard the voice of Marco
> Beishuizen, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> Using portupgrade every day and still works great. Tried portmaster
>> once but liked portupgrade more. I use poudriere just for testing
>> ports.
>
> I also use portupgrade constantly on several systems, and portmaster
> occasionally for some special cases where it has advantages.
>
> I also use poudriere on a lot of systems.  Actually, most, nowadays. And
> I'm extremely happy with it.  But I expect the systems I'm running
> straight out of ports now will continue to do so for a very long time,
> since poudriere just won't fit at all.

I agree, imho poudriere is designed to maintain ports and testing them, or
if you have to build ports for lots of systems. And it works very well for
that too. But portupgrade and portmaster are imho far better in just
tracking newer versions of installed ports. I'm also not sure if poudriere
is able to track ports on a STABLE system (as in my case).

So I hope both tools will be available in the future.

--
Breeding rabbits is a hare raising experience.