Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Mon Oct 2 09:07:46 UTC 2017

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 23:49:14 +0100, Matthew Seaman stated:

>On 01/10/2017 11:34, Carmel NY wrote:
>> 1. Does it determine out-of-date update packages automatically or does
>> the user have to determine that what is out-of-date and feed them to
>> poudriere manually and in the proper order?
>
>Automatic.
>
>> 2. From what I have read, the user is required to install each package
>> manually. Is that correct?
>
>Poudriere builds a repository.  You then have to type 'pkg upgrade' or
>'pkg install foo' to update your live system.  Most people do not find
>this particularly taxing.

From the "pkg-descr" file:

poudriere is a tool primarily designed to test package production on
FreeBSD. However, most people will find it useful to bulk build ports
for FreeBSD.

While it will undoubtedly work, it is still more complex than the average
desktop user requirers. Synth fits the bill nicely by being, for the most
part, easy to understand and run. I am already on my forth "ports maintenance"
program having used portmanager, portmaster, portupgrade and now synth. At
this point, I would almost rather switch to a new OS before abandoning synth
for something that IMHO is just overkill for the average user.

Just my 2¢.

--
Carmel