Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

Vlad K. vlad-fbsd at acheronmedia.com
Sun Oct 1 22:34:06 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-02 00:19, RW via freebsd-ports wrote:
> I meant installing up-to-date packages from the *local* repository. So
> if only Firefox needs to be updated would Poudriere first install
> Firefox's dependencies into the jail from locally generated package
> files before building Firefox.

Poudriere builds repositories and yes, uses any package already built in
that repository if it's a build dependency for another. Note that you
have multiple repos, built with different base jails, different ports
trees, different sets of packages, options, make.conf options.

But even for single machine use, it allows simple building of any list
of wanted packages, it makes sure those and their dependencies are
built, up to date (relative to the ports tree it's configured to use),
and kept as a persistent repository. You can even delete a package txz
from the repo manually, on next bulk run it will simply rebuild what's
missing.

--
Vlad K.