can I get a 'mentor' who can guide me on the topic of python module ports?

Chris H bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Tue Nov 28 16:55:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 00:31:56 +0800 "Julian Elischer" <julian at freebsd.org> said

> On 28/11/17 11:09 pm, Chris H wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 07:29:10 +0100 "Kurt Jaeger" <lists at opsec.eu> said
> >
> >> Hi!

> >> python

> >> Ok, then there are two steps for the start:
> >>
> >> 1) Where is the distfile ? Because the first step would be to
> >> create a ports Makefile that downloads that distfile.
> >>
> >> Is it this ?
> >>
> >> https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=253472&clcid=0x409
> >>
> >> 2) Then, one has to dig into
> >>
> >> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.html
> >

> >> to get to a initial Makefile.
> >>
> >> For this step: Install ports-mgmt/porttools and use
> >>
> >> port create
> >>
> >> Extra homework: Think about a nice name 8-}
> >
> > Not to discount anything Kurt as already suggested
> > But I'd just like to throw in a couple of things that come to mind.
> > You can think of this as a short learning curve, or the highway to
> > hell.
> > You decide.
> >
> > 1) With a brand new port; I have often found it makes it quicker to
> > find a
> > already existing port that closely resembles the one I'm attempting
> > to create,
> > and either gut it, or simply replace the parts required.
> >
> > 2) Given it's the Python Azure SDK. I'd probably go with the
> > following location:
> > https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-python
> > The opening page nearly creates the port for you. :)
>
> well it may for you but for me it's all a learning curve where I need
> to discover the significance of every little thing.
Ahh, sure OK. Now I have a little better base line to work with.
I'll cobble up a starting point, and post it for you. :)
FYI my dev box is out of commission right now, so there'll be some testing
required on you're part. :)

> thanks though..
You're *quite* welcome. :)

--Chris