can I get a 'mentor' who can guide me on the topic of python module ports?

Chris H bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Tue Nov 28 15:08:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 07:29:10 +0100 "Kurt Jaeger" <lists at opsec.eu> said

> Hi!

> > > I suggest you put your initial version up somewhere and
> > > then start ask questions here.
> > >
> > > It might be faster if many people submit hints than if
> > > only one person gives you hints 8-}
> > So far I don't know enough to put up anything.
>
> Ok, then there are two steps for the start:
>
> 1) Where is the distfile ? Because the first step would be to
> create a ports Makefile that downloads that distfile.
>
> Is it this ?
>
> https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=253472&clcid=0x409
>
> 2) Then, one has to dig into
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.html
>
> to get to a initial Makefile.
>
> For this step: Install ports-mgmt/porttools and use
>
> port create
>
> Extra homework: Think about a nice name 8-}

Not to discount anything Kurt as already suggested
But I'd just like to throw in a couple of things that come to mind.
You can think of this as a short learning curve, or the highway to hell.
You decide.

1) With a brand new port; I have often found it makes it quicker to find a
already existing port that closely resembles the one I'm attempting to create,
and either gut it, or simply replace the parts required.

2) Given it's the Python Azure SDK. I'd probably go with the following location:
https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-python
The opening page nearly creates the port for you. :)

HTH

--Chris