Procmail Vulnerabilities check

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Sun Nov 26 13:25:38 UTC 2017

On Sat 2017-11-25 22:20:13 UTC-0500, Kevin P. Neal (kpn at neutralgood.org) wrote:

> Is that the consensus to replace use of procmail with maildrop?
>
> A little googling makes it look like maildrop has the easy integration
> with sendmail just like procmail. But is maildrop going to be around for
> the next, oh, 20 years like procmail was?

maildrop began circa 1999 and is part of the Courier Mail Server
software. procmail began circa 1990. Arguably both are due for a
modern replacement, although at least maildrop does not suffer from
vulnerabilities, afaik.

I migrated from procmail to maildrop a few years ago. My only real
gripe with it is that it doesn't create Maildir subdirectories
automatically, so you have to call 'maildirmake' from within each
filter rule (but only if the subdirectory doesn't already exist!)
making each maildroprc filter more complicated than necessary.