Package database problems

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Thu Nov 16 20:34:03 UTC 2017

Hi!

> >>  ls /var/db/pkg/
> >> FreeBSD.meta				libXfixes-5.0.3				p5-Net-Domain-TLD-1.74
> >> 	py27-qt4-dbussupport-4.12_1
> >> ImageMagick-6.9.2.10,1			libXfont-1.5.2,2			p5-Package-Stash-0.37_1
> >
> > Looks like you have some old-style pkg_xxxx leftovers.

> So, what should I do?

You probably have to clean it up.

I would do this:
- use the list of old-style packages in /var/db/pkg, together
  with the output of pkg info, to generate a list of
  packages that you need after clean up.
  My list looks like this, approx. 2000 entries:
-------------
[...]
devel/automake
devel/automake-wrapper
devel/automoc4
devel/binutils
devel/bison
[...]
-------------
- Then build all the packages from your list via poudriere,
  and generate a repo of all those up2date packages.
- Then (this is dangerous, if done via remote, keep a few
  ssh sessions running in parallel, if one fails):
  mkdir /usr/local/OLD
  cd /usr/local
  mv * OLD/
- Now no packages are installed
- re-add all the packages, restore the config from OLD/...

> I didn't setup this server to begin with. I recall, a
> while back, instructions for switching to pkgng. Is that what wasn't done?

Yes, something like that.

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !