Firefox (Doesn't) Build

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Sun Nov 12 18:33:25 UTC 2017

On 13 November 2017 at 00:03, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/2017 07:14, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>>
>> On 12 November 2017 at 12:16, Patrick Dorion <dorionpatrick at outlook.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What's the difference between using Poudriere or Synth, though?
>>>
>>> This is a clean system, I can't imagine a jail being cleaner... it was
>>> unpacked from the DVD the day before yesterday....
>>
>> Both are clean room builds; ie where only minimal build dependancies
>> are installed for each port build. The main difference is that:
>>   * poudriere uses jails to achieve this
>>   * synth uses unionfs+chroot to achieve this
>

> Does it mean synth can't be used on ZFS? AFAIK unionfs isn't properly
> supported on ZFS, i.e. a file that exists in the underlying fs can't be
> marked as deleted in the overlying fs.

synth uses unionfs for read-only access to the build-host's files; eg:
ports-dir, system binaries. In normal operation, all build artifacts
are generated onto on an isolated tmpfs filesystem. There are no
additions/removals on the build-host's filesystem.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>