The future of portmaster [and of ports-mgmt/synth]

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 31 16:58:36 UTC 2017

On 2017/05/31 17:11, Roger Marquis wrote:
> Mark Linimon wrote:
>> * some extensive changes to the ports framework are coming;
>
> Is there a URL (other than svnweb) where we can see a project plan for
> these changes?  As in the recent past (i.e., since 8-REL) the FreeBSD
> end-user community has reason to be worried that:
>
>  * popular tools that were broken in the last major ports update (to
>  pkgng) will again not be considered part of the update,
>
>  * developers and users of those tools will suffer the pain of
>  significant refactoring (again) and their Linux-advocating co-engineers
>  will be even more effective in reducing or eliminating FreeBSD in their
>  environments,
>
>  * little discussion and few details will (again) be available before
>  the transition, and
>
>  * it will (again) not occur exclusively on a major revision boundary.
>
>  ** These concerns are not so much workload-related as much as they are
>  planning-related.
>
> The lack of planning in previous ports/pkg updates was destructive and
> unnecessary.  Has anything changed?
>
> Considering the delays in implementing base packages, pkg_audit that
> ignores base or recently deprecated ports and yet another major upgrade
> to the ports framework it should not need to be pointed out that our
> favorite OS has become far more difficult to update and maintain than
> any version of Linux.

Core has some proposals around planning for such changes that they will
be talking about during the BSDCan devsummit next week.  These should
also be published internally fairly soon afterwards for the benefit of
people not at BSDCan.

	Cheers,

	Matthew