The future of portmaster

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Tue May 30 20:25:06 UTC 2017

> On 30 May, 2017, at 14:19, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:
>

> One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that the UPDATING file looks geared to portmaster and portupgrade.
>
> Users are thus led to believe that portupgrade and portmaster are still the currently recommended tools.
>
> If the ports people want to get users to switch to synth or poudriere, updating instructions should include synth and poudriere.

There are no updating instructions for them. They do the right thing automatically. Only portmaster needs its hand held every time something gets updated.

The only difference is that things go into a make.conf in /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/ rather than /etc/make.conf (see CUSTOMISATION in poudriere(8) for details), and I don't know if synth has a special place for it too.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org