The future of portmaster

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue May 30 17:44:28 UTC 2017

On Tue, 30 May 2017, Adam Weinberger wrote:

> You don't need separate port trees. The idea is to use poudriere to build
> ALL your ports. Just make a list of the ports you want, pass it to
> poudriere, and it will keep everything up-to-date, rebuild things when
> they need to be rebuilt, and give you a pkg repository so you can just
> run "pkg install foo" or "pkg upgrade" to keep your system running.
>
> Even if you do use poudriere to build only a few ports, it's pretty easy.
> Give your own generated packages a higher priority in
> /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/ and you can transparently layer your pkg repo
> above the upstream repo.

  Where is this seemingly super easy process documented? Yes, I can read the
  docs and try to figure out the "best practice" workflow, or someone with
  amazing knowledge of poudriere (and/or synth) can write a "here's how to
  manage your ports" best practices for the occasional sysadmin, rather than
  the hard-core supporting a fleet of FreeBSD boxes admin.

  I've looked before and never found such a document. Something from the
  portupgrade or portmaster user POV, and why and how to move to the more
  modern and actively developed tools.

> So no, you don't need separate ports trees. poudriere is happiest though
> when you let it manage its own ports tree, so I prefer to just symlink
> /usr/ports to it, but you can very easily use a pre-existing ports tree
> with poudriere.

  You make it sound so easy! Maybe it is, but I haven't found it.

Beckman