How should we name node-js ports ?

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Mon May 15 16:52:57 UTC 2017

> On 15 May, 2017, at 6:57, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov <rm at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> Rodrigo Osorio wrote on 05/14/2017 15:16:
>> Hi,
>> I have a bunch of nodejs ports to add, most of them as dependencies,
>> and I wonder if we can find a naming standard like adding  'node' or
>> 'node-js' prefix in the name ; I personally prefer 'node'.
>> As a result a port who install the node package xxx will be named 'node-xxx'
>> Does it sounds good to you ?
>> Thanks for your time,
>> -- rodrigo
>
> Am I right they will be actually installed with npm? If so, it would make sense to name them npm-<package>, like rubygems installed packages.

npm packages can be installed by yarn as well; nodejs is really the common name and makes a better prefix.

That said, making node ports does not sit well with me. npm/yarn manages node packages. Things will break if a user has those same packages installed globally and tries to update or remove them, or if a user needs specific global versions installed.

Rodrigo, I think your better option is simply to bundle those dependencies yourself, at the specific versions that your port requires, and install them to a private location.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org