FreeBSD Port: lang/php71-extensions - missing php71-mssql

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon May 15 14:46:40 UTC 2017

Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote on 2017/05/15 15:00:

>> I search the internet and didn't found any problem reports for this.
>>
>> PHP manual still shows this
>> http://php.net/manual/en/mssql.requirements.php
>
> If you read the manual this section is very important:
> This extension is not available anymore on Windows with PHP 5.3 or later.

Yes, I know that, but the important part is "Windows". I think it was
due to some licence / patent issue. For Windows there is SQLSRV provided
by Microsoft for a long time.

> (Don't ask me why its available up to PHP 5.6)

Because limitation was for Windows and not unix-like systems :)

> When dealing with MS SQL you have (out of my limited experience - i
> avoid it when possible) basically two options:
> - Using odbc (http://php.net/manual/en/book.uodbc.php)
> - Using PDO-MS SQL (http://php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-sqlsrv.php)

I know about this but it is very bad for all of our legacy projects and
webapplications - nobody want to rewrite them.

> But one step back: i'm not really sure why there is no port and FreeTDS.
> If you have some time i will check if i can recreate the php56-mssql
> port for php70 and php71. After this i can give an answer with greater
> detail.

It would be very nice if we can continue to use mssql_connect and other
functions from phpXX-mssql extension.

Thanks in advance

Miroslav Lachman