pkg and packages

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat May 6 21:15:00 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Sebastian Schwarz <seschwar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2017-05-04, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
> > I can't imagine what code could possibly be in thunar and
> > samba that the xfce desktop would need, (...)
>
> Thunar is used to display the icons on the XFCE desktop.  It
> depends on gvfs, which is used for accessing remote file systems
> and the trash inside Thunar.  gvfs in turn depends on samba44 in
> order to access CIFS/SMB shares.
>
> Strictly speaking some of these features might be optional.  But
> as far I know pkg currently doesn't have a concept of optional
> dependencies.  So it's an all or nothing decision, when building
> the packages.

This is the case. If you want to stick with packages, at least until some
new packaging features are available, your best bet is to install
ports-mgmt/synth. Then you can use it to add a private repository of all
ports that you want built with non-standard options. Then have synth create
a custom Thunar package that you can then use to avoid samba (44 or 46) or,
if supported, build Thunar against the samba version of your choosing.

synth(8) has excellent documentation on how to configure and use it. I
recommend it for the type of issue you are running into. (N.B. synth is
written in ADA and, for that reason, I don't recommend building synth from
source as that requires a major installation of the ADA compiler.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com