textproc/kibana50 and version of node.js

Bradley T. Hughes bradleythughes at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 30 09:10:53 UTC 2017

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 10:00, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi,

Hi! :)

> we are using npm + node in version 7.8.0 and ElasticSearch in version 5.0.2. Now we need Kibana and Kibana X-Pack but official Kibana has bundled node v0.10 or v0.12, FreeBSD port of Kibana has dependency on node v4. It is conflicting with already installed and used node v7.

This mail caught my eye. Since Node.js v0.10 and v0.12 have reached end-of-life, I wanted to see if I could find out why they were bundling such an old version. Looking at Github, it actually looks like Kibana is bundled with Node.js v6.9.5: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/v5.3.0/package.json#L243-L246

> Is it possible to run Kibana with node v7 or it will not work at all?

> According to this https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/setup.html
> "Running Kibana against a separately maintained version of Node.js is not supported."

I do not know the answer to that question, unfortunately. :(