opera browser crash and recovery

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 21 14:45:48 UTC 2017

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 06:52:22 -0700 (PDT)
Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:

> About once a year, sometimes more often, sometimes less often, opera
> browser thinks it is not installed, and wishes to reinstall, placing
> a plain-vanilla version to where years of customization had
> comfortably attuned the browser to my workflow due to still-newbie
> tunings I've backup up.
> ..
> So I was thinking maybe a pkg-message may be in order detailing the
> need to backup one's files,

Just in case you are not aware, Opera stopped supporting FreeBSD when
they switched to a new chromium-based browser. Both the native and
Linux versions in ports are abandonware with distfiles dated July 2013.

There lots of software where no longer being under active development
isn't a problem, but it's not wise to use a web browser that hasn't had
a security update in four years.