portmaster installation trampling on my binary packages???

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Sun Mar 19 20:03:48 UTC 2017

> On 19 Mar, 2017, at 13:54, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Then I run 'pkg upgrade' regularly. This will update any ports that have
> been modified since you installed your system.

Everything that Kevin said is right on the money, but I wanted to highlight this in particular.

If you've installed from packages, you want to run "pkg upgrade" to keep your system up-to-date, not "portmaster -a".

pkg is the best tool for managing packages. portmaster wasn't written for binary packages.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org