Chicken/egg problem with pkg

Hans de Hartog hansdehartog at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 12 12:04:27 UTC 2017

On 03/10/17 14:26, Hans de Hartog wrote:

> I have an old web server (10.1-RELEASE-p9) which is running for years
>
> without any upgrades. Now I want to install a simple port (trafshow, to
>
> see what's going on).
>
> It first want to upgrade pkg from 1.5.1 to 1.10.0_2 but that doesn't work:
>
> [1/1] Upgrading pkg from 1.5.1 to 1.10.0_2...
> [1/1] Extracting pkg-1.10.0_2: 100%
> /usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.4: Undefined symbol "openat"
>
> Anything I try to do with pkg now gives me this error-message.
>
> /var/log/messages says: pkg: pkg upgraded: 1.5.1 -> 1.10.0_2
>
> How do I proceed from here (without upgrading everything, please)?

Thank you for all reactions. I learned a lot from it.
I took the plunge and first did a minor upgrade from 10.1 to 10.3.
Then the major upgrade to 11.0 (following the handbook).
Initially everything looked fine (website up and running!).
But then some problems came up:
  - different versions op php are installed
  - gkrellmd won't start (libkvm.so.6 not found)
  - (and this is the worst) pkg doesn't work: libssl.so.7 not found
Installed version is pkg-1.10.0_2.
pkg-static info works but still gives the message:
Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running "pkg-static install
-f pkg" recommended

During the forced upgrade of all packages I saw that an attempt was made
to downgrade
pkg to 1.9.something and I also saw that a POST_INSTALL failed for some
reason.
Any recommendations?
Thanks again for your help!