bsd.sites.mk: Do we prefer http or https (or both)

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 11 19:29:20 UTC 2017

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 10:18:18 -0700 Adam Weinberger <adamw at adamw.org>
wrote:
> On 11 Mar, 2017, at 10:13, Tijl Coosemans <tijl at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 12:18:51 +0000 (UTC) jbeich at freebsd.org (Jan
>> Beich) wrote:

>>> It was made MITM-friendly sometime ago.
>>>
>>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/324051
>>
>> Ugh, can portmgr approve the attached
>
> If distfiles from sites with invalid certificates won't fetch for
> end-users, they won't fetch during makesum either.

- Given that web browsers have become much less forgiving about such
  certificates this is probably much less of a problem nowadays.
- Possibly, many of these errors are because users forgot to install
  ca_root_nss.  We can hold port maintainers to a higher standard and
  expect them to have this installed.
- Such sites should perhaps be removed from MASTER_SITES.  If that's not
  possible FETCH_ENV can be set in the port Makefile.