manpath change for ports ?

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 8 19:49:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:31:32 -0700 Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Tijl Coosemans <tijl at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Are you talking about gcc implicitly searching /usr/local/include and
>> /usr/local/lib?
>
> That's currently inconsistent between base gcc, clang, binutils and
> ports versions. I forget which ones do and which ones don't search
> automatically.

It's only ports binutils and ports gcc that search /usr/local.

> IMHO, they all should.

I used to think this too, but now I think it should be possible to use
any compiler to compile something from base or something that should only
depend on things from base, for testing purposes or perhaps because it
needs to be deployed on some other machine.  Compilers shouldn't search
/usr/local implicitly then.  It's easy enough to add -I and -L flags
(perhaps using pkg-config) but it's not easy to remove built-in -I and
-L flags.