Thunderbird and UPDATING 20170302

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Fri Mar 3 18:38:42 UTC 2017

## Andrea Venturoli (ml at netfence.it):

> Do you have any more detailed info? Like...
> What exactly has changed in the packaging?

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/mail/thunderbird/Makefile?r1=428672&r2=428671&pathrev=428672

Lightning is now installed in it's default location - that is, like
in the official thunderbird packages for linux, and some modifications
have been undone.
This will make things easier in the future, but a thunderbird profile
created before r428672 will not find the lightning extension in it's
new location.

> Why a profile won't work as it is?

It will work, but Lightning will have vanished from your thunderbird.

> Why removing the Lightning accounts, upgrading, and adding them back is
> not enough?
> What about deleting "calendar-data"?

Bugs me, didn't work for me.
Given the alternative between not updating thunderbird for even some more
time and this, I decided to bite the bullet.

> Is this a FreeBSD specific issue?

Yes, to my knowledge nobody else had those patches in their builds,
and with the return to the default locations...

> Will installations without other "extensions building on Lightning" show
> the problem?

Yes. Some of the workarounds I tried will work in that case.

> Any interaction with bug 215348 (1)? I'm still using that patch.

Testing revealed that this patch can prevent new profiles from accessing
lightning, which I considered undesirable.

> Since I cannot afford to recreate my profile from scratch right now, I'm
> willing to dig a little into this and see if I can get around it. Any
> pointer would help...

I tried several combinations of copying, moving and symlinking the
extensions - short of reverting r428672 I didn't find anything which
made "old" and "new" profiles work.

Regards,
Christoph

--