Should a package restart on upgrade itself

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Jun 27 19:08:09 UTC 2017

Matthias Fechner wrote on 2017/06/27 20:11:
> Am 27.06.2017 um 18:50 schrieb Vlad K.:
>> Will this cover libraries as well? Eg. Libre/Open SSL upgrades,
>> restart all services that depend on it?
>>
>> Meanwhile, there's "lsop":
>
> thanks for this tool, that is indeed very helpful.
>
> Maybe it is a good idea if pkg collects the information from each
> package what should be restarted if:
>
> HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS = true;
>
> is set.
> In this case it is the responsibility of the package maintainer to mark which service should be started if it was upgraded.
> And then do a single bulk restart operation at the end of the complete upgrade.

It is not so easy to handle this on maintainer side. For example we have
one machine with PHP + Apache + Lighttpd.
If some PHP extension is reinstalled, what should be restarted and how
maintainer should know it? Is Apache using PHP? Is Lighttpd using PHP?
Are there php-fpm running PHP?
Just because there is some package it doesn't mean it uses PHP and
should be restarted. It depends on configuration made by sysadmin.

Sometimes the setup is so complex that it is better to let this on
admins decision and not some automagick guess.

Miroslav Lachman