"clamav-unofficial-sigs" error message

Marko Njezic sf at maxempire.com
Mon Jun 26 12:14:15 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-26 13:26, Carmel NY wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:37:29 +0200, Marko Njezic stated:
>
>> On 2017-06-25 18:16, Carmel NY wrote:
>>> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:17:44 +0200, Martin Waschbüsch stated:

>>> From the "master.conf" file:
>>>
>>> # Custom Command Paths, these are detected with the which command
>>> when not set.
>>>
>>> Clamscan was commented out; however, the default setting was
>>> to /usr/bin/clamscan
>>>
>>> From what I can figure out, the "which" command worked fine outside
>>> of a CRON job, but was failing when clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh was
>>> run via CRON. I uncommented the "clamscan" setting and set it to
>>> point to the correct location. Now it works correctly.
>>>
>>> This is probably a bug, but I am not going to waste my time reporting
>>> it. The ports version of this program is very old. There have been
>>> five newer versions since its release. No doubt this problem has been
>>> corrected.
>>
>> The error message that you're getting has nothing to do with the
>> version of the script that's available from the ports collection.
>>
>> Contrary to what you think, you would get the same error message with
>> the latest version of the script (clamscan binary detection has
>> remained exactly the same). You obviously did not set up PATH variable
>> correctly for script invoking by cron daemon.
>
> This is the default setting:
>
> # Custom Command Paths, these are detected with the which command when
> not set
> # uname_bin="/usr/bin/uname"
> # clamscan_bin="/usr/bin/clamscan"
> # rsync_bin="/usr/bin/rsync"
> # wget_bin="/usr/bin/wget"
> # curl_bin="/usr/bin/curl"
> # gpg_bin="/usr/bin/gpg"
>
> I only needed to uncomment and change the "clamscan_bin" setting to get
> it working correctly when run via CRON. Since the other settings are
> not correct for a FreeBSD system, yet still work, I do believe it is a
> bug of some sorts. However, it is not worth arguing about.

You did not set up PATH variable correctly in your crontab. This is not
a bug in the script. Also, master.conf and os.conf files should not be
modified, or you will end up with old versions of those files when
updating to a new version of the port. All user changes should be placed
in user.conf (this is mentioned in both pkg-message and ports/UPDATING).

>> On a side note, you mentioned that you edited "master.conf" file. As I
>> wrote in pkg-message, all user configuration changes should go in file
>> "user.conf" file, in order to make updating the script easier.
>>
>> As far as updating the port to the latest version is concerned, the
>> development of the script appeared to be on halt since there were no
>> updates from august last year until march this year and now it is
>> quiet once again. The original script ended up being abandoned and I'm
>> more cautious this time, so that I don't end up wasting my time.
>
> I am not sure what that is supposed to mean. The postfix "stable"
> version is only updated approximately once a year. A program does not
> have to be updated every "X" number of days to be actively developed.
> In any case, there have been five new versions released since the one
> in the ports system was released. Certainly that would seem to indicate
> that something was happening with the application.

That means exactly what I wrote. I don't want to waste my time, if
forked version also ends up being abandoned.

--
Regards,
Marko Njezic - mr.maX @ MAX Interactive corp.