[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Fri Jun 23 21:36:49 UTC 2017

Julian Elischer wrote:

> (*) From my experience, the best way to cope with openssl is to have
> everything link with
> the system openssl and issue security upgrades to the base OS that
> upgrades that when there is a need.
> (this may change, but it's been my experience so far).

Agree on previous parts of your message but have to say 'no' here...
Ports OpenSSL is the way to go.. because of the FreeBSD policy "we won't
change the ABI" one of the reasons for no having 9.4 was OpenSSL 0.9.8
was EoLd and there were/are bugs unpatched.... Thing is its a perfect
example of why OpenSSL should not be bundled into the OS... but then you
can't rely on the ports system because of the drive to change it.

Rock and a hard place comes to mind...  Problem is you have @freebsd.org
email holder saying, "we don't get paid for this so we'll do it our
way... pay us to do it your way or do it yourself" vs the users, that
are shouting, "come on guys we can't keep up, we need stability, we're
not using this as a desktop here"....

And both sides are diametrically opposed and steadfast to the point of
zealous-ism...

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/