[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

demelier.david at gmail.com demelier.david at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 08:26:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-22 at 11:57 -0700, Dave Hayes wrote:
> Would you agree that release branches would be unnecessary if
> somehow
> you could select the version of node that the ports tree builds via
> some
> (as yet unspecified) mechanism?

I've also think about that but I'm not sure if it's easier than having
frozen release branches.

Release branches won't have many maintenance except individual bug
fixes when security advisories are found. No backport, no updates.

On the other hand, having to deal case-by-case for which ports should
have version is very hard and complex. It's the case of some of them,
node, postgresql, apache. But then we will have thousands of ports to
add just to provides different versions.

Cheers,

--
David Demelier