[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

scratch65535 at att.net scratch65535 at att.net
Thu Jun 22 22:16:48 UTC 2017

[Default] On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 16:11:26 -0500, Mark Linimon
<linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:32:45PM -0400, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
>> My problem is that my industry experience tells me that reducing
>> the frequency of port releases is practically *guaranteed* to be
>> a Really Good Thing for everyone.
>
>I remember before we had the quarterly releases, and people on the
>mailing lists complained constantly about the ports bits only being
>available once per release, or rolling with -head.

Mark, I can only suppose that those complainers are dilettantes
of some sort who believe that having The Latest-And-Greatest Bits
is a social-status enhancer.  **Nobody** with real work to do
ever willingly fools away time "fixing" what isn't broken. That's
why there are still millions of XP boxes in daily use despite
everything M$ has been able to do to force people to give them
up.

's mise le meas